In the eighth commandment, we are told, “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.” Matthew 5: 33 reminds us “It was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.'” The eighth commandment commands us :-
- Not to tell lies
- Not to gossip about others nor damage the reputation of others by exaggeration or making up stories about them.
- To stand up for those unjustly accused and not be a channel through which rumours pass, whether or not they are true.
- Not to speak ill of others behind their backs
- To be truthful and not deceptive in my dealings with others?
- Not to be critical, negative or uncharitable in my thoughts nor dealings with others?
CCC : 2464 – 2513